Tumbling class has come to an end. I will be happy to not have to rush out the door so early on Saturday mornings, but it has been nice having a semi-structured activity for the kids that they've enjoyed with a couple great friends.
I say "semi-structured" because it really offered very little structure. At some points I wished the instructor would do more to get the kids actually doing some of the skills. Yet, at the same time I realized that you can only do so much to get 2-year-olds to do what you want them to do, and if the instructor pushed, she probably would have just had a room full of crying, defiant toddlers! So, instead we did a lot of exploratory play each week on the equipment. I accepted that to make the most of our time, I had to make the most of it and be fully engaged: encouraging them to try new things, modeling rolls and headstands myself, and being ready to support when then showed a glimmer of interest in doing any of the target skills. Fortunately, Daddy also bought into this philosophy so both kids were always supported the whole time.
If I apply my knowledge of intellectual development to this scenario, then I know that even though they may not look like they're doing much, they are actually taking important early steps: building strength, awareness, interest, and confidence.
Particularly the very last day, I was in awe of some of the things they were doing quite impressively compared to where they started: jumping more and higher without holding an adult's hand on the trampoline, staying straight while doing somersaults and log rolls, doing a new flip while holding the bar (which Malynn could do nearly independently!), going significantly faster on the balance beam, hand-stands...sort-of (which Jack could do nearly independently!), and simply navigating mat configurations with greater agility, strength, and balance.
Some favorite things have been:

Swinging on the rings.
Balance beam!
And trampoline (not pictured).
A newly discovered favorite is laying on this half-circle mat and getting rocked way back and then way forward!
Sophia wanted in on the action, and Jack, being the gentlemanly-type, helped rock the ladies.
These special friends: Sophia & little brother Evan and Dylan & little brother Ethan have really made this a special event.
Our families have been enjoying COFFEE and breakfast bagels together after each class. Moving forward we talked about keeping the breakfast date but bumping it to a little later in the morning!
If I ask myself, was it worth it...I think these faces offer a definitive answer!
Special thanks to Samma & Papa who came along for our early Saturday morning one day and took pictures. The kids have realized this class is a special thing and have often asked for specific people they love to "come to my tumbling." Now they can check Samma & Papa off the list. :)
They can also check Grand off the list, who was able to be there on Awards Day.
Congrats Malynn & Jack!










Love the tumbling. Maybe we can incorporate a little yoga with Samma next. Namaste! XXXOOO
ReplyDelete