I can't believe it's been a whole year already! Thinking back on when we were searching for a part-time nanny, I remember saying, "I know people with a nanny who say that they would cry if they ever lost her, and I want to be able to say the same thing." Well, the search that I had allotted 4-6 weeks for, ended up taking over 3 months. I definitely got to a place where I had accepted that I would have to compromise on some of the things I was hoping for. Then we met Melody. When she came to meet us, I recall that the kids were automatically comfortable around her (I've learned to trust their first impression of people.). And, after the interview meeting, I told Mike that not only did I have a positive, peaceful feeling about her, but I could even see us becoming friends. Well, a year later, I can say that initial 3 month wait to find Melody was worth it. The gut feeling the kids and I had about her was right. She has loved and cared for Malynn and Jack as if they were her own. Knowing they are with her gives me total peace of mind while I'm working. Every day she comes the kids learn, laugh, and love with her. She has become a dear friend and we truly consider Melody part of the family. Not just her, but her children (the cousins), too. When any of the cousins come the kids know they can count on a little extra special lovin': reading stories, doing hair-dos, playing puzzles or blocks, or just plain romping around. Melody and her kids make such a positive contribution to our lives...I would cry if we ever lost her.
To celebrate the 1 year anniversary, I was inspired by my friend Helen who creates treasure hunts for kids (insert web site here once it's up and running!). I had the ingredients for making a graham cracker, banana, vanilla pudding dessert, so I wrote little riddle clues to lead Melody and the kids around the house to find what they needed to make the treat together. It was a hit!
I had little rhymes like: "The next place you need to look, is where we keep the Alexander book." and "You'll find the next thing out where we play, with lots of water on a hot, hot day." I have to admit, the second grade teacher in me had a blast making the clues! Malynn and Jack really started to get a sense of what it was all about as they went along, and Jack loved getting to see what cooking item they would discover next. I'll definitely need to create more fun treasure hunts in our future!
The last one led to the recipe and a picture collage for Melody of special times when we have been together.
No comments:
Post a Comment